Girl Whiles Away Her Summer Waiting for the Phone to Ring

DEAR ABBY: I am 12 years old and I have a boyfriend, "Zak." Since it's summer, we don't communicate with each other as much as usual. Most people would think we'd be more in touch, but since we're both on vacation, we haven't been. I always text his phone, but most of the time I never get an answer back. Or he'll text, "I'm busy, I'll text you later," or "Sorry, can't talk. I'll call you later." But he never does.

Not long ago, I talked to Zak on the phone for a short time and he said he'd call back the next day around noon. He never called at all that day. Sometimes I don't hear from him for days on end.

Do you think I'm overreacting? Do you think he thinks I'm annoying? Maybe he feels I'm obsessing over him, I'm pretty sure if he wanted to end our relationship he would just come out and say it, but do you think he really does but doesn't want to hurt me? Help, Abby! -- CRAZY ABOUT HIM IN ARKANSAS

DEAR CRAZY: Zak appears to be a normal adolescent boy who has many interests -- and possibly parents who keep him busy. That would account for his not calling you later or returning your texts.

Rather than worrying about why he's not performing up to your expectations, you should develop some other interests and activities so you won't have so much time to worry about Zak. That way you'll appear less needy, clingy and insecure, and you'll be more attractive and interesting to be around once school starts again.

And one more thing: Think positive! Dwelling on the negative will only make you feel more unhappy and insecure than you're feeling right now.