Husband Abused by His Wife Finds Few Resources for Men

DEAR ABBY: For a lot of reasons -- many betrayals among them -- I have almost completely lost my faith in the basic goodness of people. I have started isolating myself because I believe that more contact with people will destroy what little belief I have left. I don't want to be so bitter and cynical, and I need help overcoming this. Any advice would be appreciated. -- WOUNDED SOUL IN MINNESOTA

DEAR WOUNDED: I'm sorry you have suffered disappointment. But isolating yourself from others isn't the solution. I don't know anyone who hasn't been disappointed in someone at some point, but it's not a reason to hide.

Trust is something that has to be developed, and building it takes time. While I agree that relationships can be risky, unless you are willing to take some risk, there will be no reward.