Man's Perfect Pedigree Is Marred by Table Manners

DEAR ABBY: I have been married for 11 years. My father passed away this past December. Because of this, my mother, who lives next door, has been sleeping at our house at night. This is causing my husband to become resentful. He says he no longer has any privacy.

Mother helps out by taking the kids to and from school every day. She would like to start staying at her own house at night again, but it is still difficult for her. What should I do? -- LOST DAD, MAY LOSE HUSBAND

DEAR LOST: Encourage your mother to start sleeping at home. Ease the transition by having your older children sleep at her house for a few weeks. If she's still afraid to sleep alone, suggest she adopt a pet. The sooner she asserts her independence, the better she will feel. You'll be doing both your mother and your husband a favor.