DEAR ABBY: I was going through my grandmother's Bible and found this old column of yours tucked between the pages. It is yellowed with age, but I laughed aloud when I read it. I had no idea that Grandma read your column. I thought you might like to print it again so others may enjoy it as I did. -– MIMI SEVERA, BLOOMINGDALE, ILL.

DEAR MIMI: I'm sure they will -– and that's no bull. Read on:

DEAR ABBY: We have a cow on our farm named Helen Mae and she hates women. Helen Mae is a beautiful Guernsey with soft brown eyes and a gentle manner, but she won't let a woman within 20 feet of her. She's very friendly to all men whether she's seen them before or not, but any woman who has tried to milk her has had to run for her life. You can't fool Helen Mae, either. She can tell women from men regardless of how they're dressed.

Is there any explanation for this? And if you can find out if there is some way to get Helen Mae to let a woman milk her, I'd appreciate it, as my husband can't always get to her at milking time. –- FARMER'S WIFE

DEAR WIFE: None of my farm experts have studied psy-cow-ology, but they tell me that cows have their hang-ups just like humans. However, I'll milk my readers and try to come up with an udder opinion.

DEAR ABBY: I could have been the teen-ager in the letter signed "Had It in Denver." He was the live-in grandfather who complained about his 15-year-old granddaughter's bratty behavior.

My grandmother moved in with my family when I was 15. She shared my room; we even slept in the same bed. It was no secret that I wasn't happy about it. I was jealous of the time Grandma spent with my mom and dad. I never yelled at my parents, but did a few things I was sorry about later.

That grandpa in Denver should talk with his granddaughter and find out her interests and concerns. (That's what my grandma did.) If Grandpa and the girl could find anything in common, maybe he could help her, rather than making things worse by complaining.

As far as Gramps' objection to "no rules, no discipline, no punishment, no guidelines" in their home, I ask, "Oh, really?" House rules may have changed big time in the last 50 years. Maybe Gramps' rules are stricter than her parents'.

Over time, my grandmother and I became good friends. I even interviewed her for my senior term paper on dating customs prior to World War I. It was a hit. (Now THOSE were the days of strict rules and regulations!)

In 1966, my beloved grandma died at the age of 75, three months after my first child was born. I shall forever treasure the close friendship we shared. –- DOROTHY SELLERS, BRAZORIA, TEXAS

DEAR DOROTHY: Your point is well taken. The generation gap can be difficult to bridge, but it's not impossible. Since Grandpa is the adult, the first attempt at peacemaking should be his. As your experience proves, it can be a bonding experience for all concerned.

CONFIDENTIAL TO MY MUSLIM READERS: Happy Id Al-Adha.

For everything you need to know about wedding planning, order "How to Have a Lovely Wedding." Send a business-sized, self-addressed envelope, plus check or money order for $5 (U.S. funds only) to: Dear Abby -- Wedding Booklet, P.O. Box 447, Mount Morris, IL 61054-0447. (Postage is included in the price.)