CB Good Buddies Watched Over Novice Truck Driver

DEAR ABBY: I love the letters you print about acts of kindness and would like to share my story with you.

It was 1976, and my husband, two daughters and I drove our new truck to Colorado to visit relatives and buy some heavy equipment. After the truck was loaded up, my husband became very ill and had to go to the hospital. My oldest daughter and I had to return to California for our jobs. The doctor told us that when my husband was well enough to leave the hospital, he would have to fly home. So we left him in the hospital and headed home in his truck, which we had driven very little.

We were driving down the highway, and there were many 18-wheeler trucks along the way. We had a CB radio in the vehicle, which we left on. A truck driver asked us what the "Mother Bear and two Baby Bears" were doing driving all by themselves. He was helpful with information on traffic and weather, etc., which was a blessing because a storm was coming. When the first driver was ready to turn off in another direction, he sent word to another truck driver to watch over us! It was very comforting for us as we traveled.

Many times when I read about truck drivers, I remember the wonderful people we encountered on our trip home and wish we could have thanked them for their help. -- BEVERLY KRUEGER

DEAR BEVERLY: Consider it done. Truck driving is hard work that requires patience and total concentration for long stretches of time. The people who do it are a special breed, and my hat is off to them. You were fortunate that these "angels of the highway" took you under their wing.

DEAR ABBY: My ex-husband, "Monty," and I divorced six years ago after 20 years of marriage. Monty had a history of being unfaithful. Two years ago he married one of his girlfriends.

I hear through the grapevine that Monty is unhappy in his marriage. He appears to be going out of his way to "run" into me. When I see him he's friendly and acts like we're still together.

I never wanted a divorce, Abby, and the truth is –- I never stopped loving him. What do I do now? –- EX IN TEXAS

DEAR EX: The next time you run into Monty and he acts as if you're still together, remind him that you're not -– but you could be if he calls you when his divorce is final.

It remains to be seen whether the rumors on the grapevine are true. If they turn out to be true, and you really want a marriage with your former husband, make sure that you get to the root of the reason for his cheating and your breakup the first time around. Counseling would be a way to ensure it.

DEAR ABBY: I am 17. My boyfriend graduated from high school this year and soon will be leaving for college far away. I plan to visit him during school breaks and during the summer. I want us to become engaged and be married after I graduate next year.

Abby, how do I know that is the right thing –- that he is ready for marriage –- and that I will not get rejected? –- SCARED IN NEW MEXICO

DEAR SCARED: Curb your fear and don't pressure him. This is an opportunity for you both to grow as individuals. Neither of you should tie yourself down at this point in your lives.

Marriage requires stability, maturity and experience. The next few years are going to be important ones for both of you. If you push too hard for a commitment, he may resent you for it and pull away.

For everything you need to know about wedding planning, order "How to Have a Lovely Wedding." Send a business-sized, self-addressed envelope, plus check or money order for $3.95 ($4.50 in Canada) to: Dear Abby, Wedding Booklet, P.O. Box 447, Mount Morris, IL 61054-0447. (Postage is included.)