Join the debate. Vote Now on the Dear Abby Poll of the week.

by Abigail Van Buren

Erroneous Tax Tip May Send Taxpayers in Wrong Direction

DEAR ABBY: I am responding to the letter from "Tax Tips From a Professional," who offered some helpful income tax filing suggestions. The tax preparer made some excellent points.

However, point No. 7 was incorrect. The Internal Revenue Service no longer issues "temporary" Individual Tax Identification Numbers (ITIN). The process for securing a permanent ITIN is as follows: Complete application form W-7 and take the completed form to the local Internal Revenue Service office along with two forms of identification. The local IRS office will forward your application to the Philadelphia Service Center for processing. They generally issue the ITIN within four to six weeks.

Abby, please inform your readers as soon as possible to avoid the rush at the IRS offices from people attempting to take advantage of this erroneous data. Thank you. -- ANNE HAMILTON DAYE, TAX RESOLUTION REPRESENTATIVE, IRS, DURHAM, N.C.

DEAR ANNE: Thank you for correcting the erroneous information in "Tax Tips From a Professional's" letter. I am grateful -- and I'm sure my readers will be, too.