Refugee Honors American Mom and Vietnamese Mother, Too

DEAR ABBY: This is in response to letters you have printed about handling obscene phone calls. I would like to share one of my experiences, as well.

Several years ago, I had a caller who was saying the most disgusting things over the phone. When I refused to answer, my machine picked up the call, and he continued the obscenities. Finally, I dialed star-69, and he answered. I asked him if he knew who I was. He replied, "No." I then informed him that I was the woman he had been calling all morning, that his phone number was on my bill, and if he called one more time, I would have him arrested. He never called back. -- FREE FROM HARASSMENT IN CALIFORNIA

DEAR FREE: Three cheers for star-69 -- which is a telephone company add-on feature that allows you to dial your last caller. You're a quick thinker.