DEAR ABBY: The letter about club drugs really hit home. I would like to warn all young women about the potential for their drinks to be "dosed" with these drugs without their knowledge.
I went to a neighborhood bar over Thanksgiving weekend, and found myself feeling very woozy and overintoxicated for the amount I had to drink. I had left my drink on the bar while I went to use the ladies room, and when I came back, it tasted strange. Since it was a new drink, I assumed the bartender had mixed it differently.
Shortly after consuming this drink, I became sick to my stomach and lightheaded. A fellow I had chatted with -- and who coincidentally had offered to watch my drink -- started asking me questions about how I felt and if I wanted a place to crash. I have no doubt he had less than innocent intentions.
Fortunately, two gentlemen by the names of Andrew and Chris came to my aid. They stayed by my side, talking to me, keeping me alert, calling a car service for me and making sure the other guy didn't bother me.
I left the bar before thanking them; so, Abby, please let me thank them now.
Ladies: Do not leave your drink unattended, no matter what! And if the drink tastes "funny," don't drink it! While most of these drugs are tasteless and odorless, others have a salty taste. Just be careful! And to all the Andrews and Chrises out there -- thank you. -- CHRISTINE IN MIDLOTHIAN, VA.
DEAR CHRISTINE: You are a lucky young woman. You had a very close call. The young man who doctored your drink is a predator.
Your comments about never leaving a drink unattended are important. I hope young people will pay attention. It may seem like a cold reality, but it's part of being streetwise and self-protective.
DEAR ABBY: I am a volunteer at a local animal shelter, and I'm deeply concerned about pet owners who do not take full responsibility for the safety of their pets. Every day dogs and cats are brought in off the streets without tags or identification. Many of them are wonderful, loving pets who belong to someone who didn't bother to put identification on them for one reason or another. As a result, thousands of these wonderful animals are put to death every year because their owners can't be located.
Abby, it is heartbreaking to have to euthanize healthy animals due to lack of shelter space and available homes. Please inform your readers of the importance of putting ID tags on their pets. It could save a lot of heartache. -- ANIMAL LOVER IN BEND, ORE.
DEAR ANIMAL LOVER: I'm pleased to publicize this important reminder to pet owners. Dogs and cats are curious creatures who often like to wander. If the animal is picked up, proper identification can literally mean the difference between life and death, so please don't procrastinate.
For an excellent guide to becoming a better conversationalist and a more attractive person, order "How to Be Popular." Send a business-sized, self-addressed envelope, plus check or money order for $3.95 ($4.50 in Canada) to: Dear Abby Popularity Booklet, P.O. Box 447, Mount Morris, IL 61054-0447. (Postage is included.)
4520 Main St., Kansas City, Mo. 64111; (816) 932-6600