Join the debate. Vote Now on the Dear Abby Poll of the week.

by Abigail Van Buren

Child Who Acts Up at School May Not Be Seeing Straight

DEAR ABBY: "Debbie in Memphis" wrote that she is still living with her unfaithful husband while they save money for a divorce. She complained that the other woman in the triangle made frequent calls to the house, and it angered her.

Abby, what the other woman is doing is called HARASSMENT. The telephone companies have regulations in place to deal with it. Debbie should alert her telephone company, and the representative will tell her whether or not to involve the police.

If necessary, the telephone company can tap the phone and document the harassing calls. With this documentation, the phone company can revoke the harasser's phone service.

No one should have to suffer this sort of psychological assault, and Debbie's hands are cleaner if the woman brings the consequences on herself. -- KAREN GREENBAUM-MAYA, PH.D., CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST, CLAREMONT, CALIF.

DEAR KAREN: Well said. I'm passing that information along to my readers. Many will be interested to learn that the telephone company is willing to lend an ear as well as a hand, should the need arise. Read on:

DEAR ABBY: I am responding to the letter from "Debbie in Memphis," who said her husband had an affair and ended it. She and her husband are sharing the same house while saving the money to get a divorce, but the other woman continues to call the house frequently.

Abby, Debbie can get "call blocking" for a small service fee. When the other woman calls, she will get a busy signal. This may not be a long-term solution, but perhaps it would tide her over until she can get the divorce and move. -- BEEN THERE IN CALIFORNIA

DEAR BEEN THERE: Thanks for a good idea. Why didn't I think of that?