Ask Someone Else's Mom by Susan Writer

Hand-Me-Down Baby Clothes Cause Problems

DEAR SOMEONE ELSE’S MOM: My sister-in-law and I couldn’t have more different tastes. She goes for everything very traditional, and I have more modern tastes.

When I was pregnant, she loaned me some maternity clothes that I wouldn’t wear around the house, much less to work. Her taste runs the same in baby/kids’ clothing, and since her daughter is two years older than our newborn baby girl, she was so excited to be able to pass along some of what I consider the most hideous outfits, which I would definitely not put our daughter in.

I appreciate her generosity in giving me the clothes, but how do I tell her I really don’t want them? --- NOT THE TRADITIONAL TYPE

DEAR NOT THE TRADITIONAL TYPE: You could tell her politely, “Thanks, but no thanks,” and leave it at that. Or, you could do what parents through the ages have done — keep one or two of the pieces that are the least outside your style and have your daughter dressed in them occasionally, but not all the time, when your sister-in-law is around. This way you’ll be less likely to offend, and also give her an idea of how you prefer to dress your baby.

Need advice? Please send your questions to Someone Else’s Mom at AskSomeoneElsesMom@gmail.com.