Ask Someone Else's Mom by Susan Writer

Boyfriend's Procrastination Is Hard to Take

DEAR SOMEONE ELSE’S MOM: I hate it when I see my mom nag my dad to get something done, but for the first time in my life I’m beginning to understand. I can never get my boyfriend to take care of any of the things around the house that need his attention. What do I do to not turn into my mother? --- NOT WANTING TO NAG

DEAR NOT WANTING TO NAG: Your perception of what needs to be done may not be the same as your boyfriend’s. Finding common ground on that issue’s the first step.

Next, make a list of those priorities you can agree on, and let him know that you two might need to hire someone to tackle the jobs he can’t or won’t take on. Hitting him in the pocketbook may provide needed motivation if that’s all that’s lacking. It might also give him the chance to be honest about his handyman interests and abilities.

Need advice? Please send your questions to Someone Else’s Mom at AskSomeoneElsesMom@gmail.com.