Ask Someone Else's Mom by Susan Writer

Partner Is Tired of Being Sole Pet Caregiver

DEAR SOMEONE ELSE’S MOM: When I agreed with my partner that it was time to get a dog, I thought we would be taking care of it together. Nope. Six months into it and I’m the one who does the walking, training, cleaning up after, and vet visits.

I have definitely fall in love with our spaniel, but how did I end up being a “single parent”? --- COULD USE SOME HELP HERE

DEAR COULD USE SOME HELP HERE: So long as the decision was truly mutual, you need to remind your partner that your four-legged baby has two adopted parents. Not sharing the responsibilities will lead to further, deeper resentments, and that doesn’t do anybody any good.

Basic as it sounds, try making a job list or walking schedule so your partner doesn’t continue to assume it’s all on you.

Need advice? Please send your questions to Someone Else’s Mom at AskSomeoneElsesMom@gmail.com.