Ask Someone Else's Mom

DEAR SOMEONE ELSE’S MOM: There is a woman on my bowling team, not much older than me, who lost her husband just over a year ago. They got married right out of college, and after a couple of years, he went into a deep depression and ended up killing himself. I wasn’t on the team when all this happened, but I’ve heard the story from the other people we bowl with.

I really like this woman, but am nervous about making any moves. It’s only been a year since she went through all that, and I don’t want to blow any chance I might have with her by asking her out too soon. Is it too soon? --- WORRIED ABOUT TIMING

DEAR WORRIED ABOUT TIMING: Losing a spouse is one of life’s biggest traumas, no matter when it happens, losing any loved one to suicide is a particularly cruel blow.

If you’re not aware of the woman’s being at all inclined to start dating again, I wouldn’t push the issue. She may be more in need of friends than romantic relationships while she deals with her grief.

Need advice? Please send your questions to Someone Else’s Mom at AskSomeoneElsesMom@gmail.com.

More like Ask Someone Else's Mom