Ask Someone Else's Mom by Susan Writer

What’s the Window for Saying, "Thanks"?

DEAR SOMEONE ELSE’S MOM: In your overall opinion, if a small gift and card is mailed to someone, what is the acceptable amount of time to acknowledge the gift?

I have just one sibling, a brother. We get along fine. He’s a very busy person, but I think he can reply sooner than what he thinks. --- WAITING FOR A THANK YOU

DEAR WAITING FOR A THANK YOU: That your brother is busy is not an excuse for his failing to acknowledge your gifts in a timely fashion. It doesn’t take long to shoot someone an email or text, or simply pick up the phone and call ─ at the least.

If you don’t hear from him within a couple weeks of when you think he should have received your gift, I see nothing wrong with asking point blank if the gift has made it to him. That could trigger his responding with not only a confirmation, but thanks.

Also, make sure you’re setting the example of reaching out to him when you receive something he sends you.

Need advice? Please send your questions to Someone Else’s Mom at AskSomeoneElsesMom@gmail.com.