Ask Someone Else's Mom by Susan Writer

Couple Split on How to Spend Black Friday

DEAR SOMEONE ELSE’S MOM: My girlfriend and I are travelling to spend Thanksgiving with her very large family. I like them, and I think they like me, but if the same thing happens this year as happened last year, I am going to be left behind with “the guys” while “the girls” all do their Black Friday thing immediately after we finish the big meal.

I have no problem spending time with her dad, brothers, and nephews, but I think it’s wrong to skip out on a family gathering to save an extra 20% at Target on Thanksgiving Day, and I’ve told my girlfriend that. Am I the crazy one here? --- ALL FOR KEEPING THANKSGIVING THANKSGIVING

DEAR ALL FOR KEEPING: I’m with you in your belief that Black Friday should stick to Friday, but it seems we’re in the minority.

Since you’ve already shared your thoughts with your girlfriend, and you’ll be her family’s guest, you pretty much need to go with the flow and follow their traditions, and enjoy the opportunity to get to know the other important men in your girlfriend’s life.

Need advice? Please send your questions to Someone Else’s Mom at AskSomeoneElsesMom@gmail.com.