Andrews McMeel Almanac by the Editors at Andrews McMeel Syndication

Andrews Mc Meel Almanac For June 13, 2019

ANDREWS MCMEEL ALMANAC

Today is the 164th day of 2019 and the 86th day of spring.

TODAY'S HISTORY: In 1966, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Miranda v. Arizona that police must inform suspects of their rights before questioning them.

In 1967, Thurgood Marshall became the first African-American to be nominated as a Supreme Court justice.

In 1971, The New York Times began publishing excerpts from the Pentagon Papers.

In 1996, the Montana Freemen surrendered after an 81-day standoff with federal agents outside Jordan, Montana.

TODAY'S BIRTHDAYS: William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), poet/dramatist; Harold "Red" Grange (1903-1991), football player; John Forbes Nash Jr. (1928-2015), mathematician; Christo (1935- ), artist; Malcolm McDowell (1943- ), actor; Ban Ki-moon (1944- ), U.N. secretary-general; Stellan Skarsgard (1951- ), actor; Tim Allen (1953- ), actor; Steve-O (1974- ), stunt performer; Chris Evans (1981- ), actor; Kat Dennings (1986- ), actress; Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen (1986- ), actresses; Aaron Taylor-Johnson (1990- ), actor.

TODAY'S FACT: Karthik Nemmani, a 14-year-old from McKinney, Texas, successfully spelled the word "koinonia" to win the 91st Scripps National Spelling Bee in 2018.

TODAY'S SPORTS: In 1948, Babe Ruth appeared at Yankee Stadium for the last time, on the occasion of the New York Yankees' Silver Anniversary Day, during which his No. 3 jersey was ceremonially retired.

TODAY'S QUOTE: "But I, being poor, have only my dreams; / I have spread my dreams under your feet; / Tread softly because you tread on my dreams." -- William Butler Yeats, "Aedh Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven"

TODAY'S NUMBER: 1,722 -- depth (in feet) of the now-inactive Mirny mine in Eastern Siberia, Russia, the 4th-deepest mine in the world. Diamond-bearing deposits were first discovered at the site on this day in 1955.

TODAY'S MOON: Between first quarter moon (June 9) and full moon (June 17).