The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow

Maitland Goes Across the Pond

Beth Maitland (Tracy, “The Young and the Restless”) just got back from England, where she was visiting her daughter, Emelia.

“She’s in London at the Royal Academy of Music, getting her Master's degree in bassoon performance,” reports Maitland. “She’s a classical musician. I went to see her for Thanksgiving. Because I was working when she had to start class, her dad went with her and got her settled in. I didn’t get to go. This was my time to go hang out and have fun. Emelia’s playing in the orchestra for 'Don Giovanni,' a Mozart opera, so I got to see a few performances of that.”

The trip also included “visiting friends in the country south of London, autumn tromping through woods, playing with dogs and horses, doing a little sightseeing,” notes Maitland, who is planning to return with her husband, Christopher, for Christmas. “Then it will be all three of us, and we’ll do more traditional things. I can’t wait.”

SHORT TAKES:

Congratulations go out to “Days of Our Lives” and “General Hospital,” which have both received nominations in the drama category for the 2018 Writers Guild of America awards. The head writer for “Days” is Ron Carlivati, and the “GH” co-head writers are Shelly Altman and Chris Van Etten. “GH” has taken home the WGA award for the last two years.

This year’s winners will be announced at the 2018 Writers Guild Awards on Feb. 11 at ceremonies in Los Angeles and New York City.

On “The Bold and the Beautiful," the “new” Hope arrives Jan. 8, when Annika Noelle takes over the role in her daytime debut. Hope, who is Brooke and Deacon's daughter, was last seen on a regular basis in 2014, when the role was played by Kim Matula. Noelle appeared in the digital soap opera “Venice” from 2011-2012. She has had roles on the big screen in “Jersey Boys,” “Evan’s Crime” and “True to the Game.”

Speaking of Matula, she will appear in the new Fox series “LA to Vegas,” which debuted on Jan. 2 at 9 p.m. The story is about a Friday-night flight from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and the returning flight Sunday. Matula plays head flight attendant Ronnie. The prime time series stars Dylan McDermott (“American Horror Story,” “The Practice”).

Tyler Christopher made his first appearance on “Days of Our Lives” on Dec. 28, playing a brand-new character of mysterious provenance. “General Hospital” fans will remember Christopher from his role of Nikolas Cassadine, which he played for 20 years.

Longtime “Days of Our Lives” actress Louise Sorel, who plays Vivian Alamain, returned to Salem on Dec. 29. She was last seen from 2009-2011. Also returning to “Days” is Leann Hunley (Anna DiMera), another longtime presence on the show. She will first appear on Jan. 5. Hunley graced the show in January 2017.

581-7500

More like The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow