The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow

When Deidre Hall found out she would be going for another spin as Hattie Adams on "Days of Our Lives," she was thrilled.

"I love the character," says Hall. "She's bawdy. She has no censor. She's got no moderation to her whatsoever. Whatever comes into her head comes right out of her mouth."

What made it all even more interesting was the fact that Hattie would turn up in prison, beside the recently incarcerated Hope.

"I knew I'd be working with Kristian (Alfonso, who plays Hope), which is great," notes Hall. "She is a good sport and always game for anything."

So Hall decided to push the envelope in their initial scenes together.

"I had my hands all over her," she recounts. "I was shouting at her, shoving her and telling her to eat a cheeseburger."

Hall, who's spent the bulk of her time on the NBC soap playing the refined Dr. Marlena Evans, enjoys the comedic challenges of playing the character's look-alike.

"I think you use more of yourself in comedy," ruminates Hall. "Your silliness, your youthfulness, the little kid inside of you ... You get to say things that grownups don't get to say. But as Hattie, I get to say absolutely everything."

Hall adores doing all of it.

"I love comedy so much," she notes. "I've done standup. My only problem is not being able to rein it back in."

SHORT TAKES:

Michael Roark, who early last year joined "The Young and the Restless" as Travis Crawford, took to social media to let fans know that he has left the show, stating: "Love you, 'YR.' I made the decision to move on to the next challenge in my career. Thank you, fans, for your support and for welcoming me, this has been an unexpected and special chapter for me. Special thanks to Amelia Heinle (Victoria Newman) for being everything she is and to the CBS family, past and present, for allowing me to bring Travis Crawford to the canvas including: Mal Young, Judy B. Wilson, Chuck Pratt, Jill Phelps, Tracy Thompson, Angelica McDaniel and Steve Kent. We hope you enjoyed our Tricky story. I know fans may be disappointed in the recent turn in their story, so I offer this ... Travis loves Victoria. Always has ... but he never took the care to look inward and address his demons after his life crashed the first time. He ran away to a bar and then to a boat and life humbled him again, as it does ... and he was only as strong as the weakest part of him ... but ya never know if Travis may return to GC one day, maybe a wiser man."

Also gone from "Y&R" is Miles Gaston Villanueva, who played Luca Santori, the son of a mob boss. There was no fanfare over Gaston Villanueva's exit, but we did catch a scene on the show where Summer (Hunter King) lamented the fact that he was gone.

On Dec. 29, daytime newcomer Tristan Lake Leabu made his debut on "Y&R" as Reed Hellstrom. Leabu has appeared as a guest-star on "Hawaii Five-O."

Making his first appearance on "Y&R" on Jan. 10 is Ben Hermes in the role of Ben Hochman. Hermes has appeared on the series "CSI: Miami," "Rules of Engagement," "Criminal Minds" and "Two and a Half Men."

581-7500

More like The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow