The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow

'Y&R' Stars Talk Jitters and Tears at Fan Club Event

Stars from Eric Braeden (Victor) to Michael Muhney (Adam) gathered at the Sheraton Universal in Universal City, Calif. for a "The Young and the Restless" fan club event on Aug. 24.

Christian Le Blanc (Michael) led the Q&A session. First up: The stars recounted memories of being cast on the soap.

"They called me in for an audition to play Patty, Doug's sister," recalled Tracey E. Bregman (Lauren), who "didn't pass the mustard for that, but they called me back for three episodes opposite Beth Maitland as Traci's best friend," she recounted. "I was shooting one scene, and I gave Beth a look. Bill Bell said that was it. He turned Lauren into a bitch with no redeeming qualities. I've been having the best time ever since."

Peter Bergman, who joined the show after a stint as Cliff Warner on "All My Children," noted that Jack "was more what I was normally cast as. (Cliff) was kind of a stretch for me, a really nice guy. ... So this was easier than I thought it was going to be, (although) replacing someone is always a very difficult task."

Other cast members recalled their first days on the soap.

"I've got to admit it was a little scary for me to change jobs," confessed Steve Burton (Dylan; ex-Jason, "General Hospital"). "It took a little while for me to get over my nerves."

Angell Conwell (Leslie) conceded she was "a ball of nerves" on day one. "My first scenes were with Michael Muhney, and he was the ultimate (welcoming) committee. He had tons of tips for me and really made me feel welcome. I'm really grateful for that."

Hunter Hayley King discussed the challenges around the "Who's Summer's Dad?" story. "There are a lot of emotional scenes, a lot of crying," recalled King, who said she adores Bergman. "He is one of the most amazing actors I've ever gotten to work with. I look at him like a dad. When he starts crying, I start crying."

As for standout "Y&R" moments, Michael Damian cited Danny and Christine's wedding in Hawaii and a scene with Eric Braeden "that never aired, where Eric actually sang 'Rock On' with me," he joked, bursting into song as Braeden added a "dum-de-dum" on cue.

Another funny part of the evening came when the cast described how they compared to their Genoa City alter egos.

Michael Fairman insisted he was the same loving and wise person as Murphy, "except when I get in the car," he chuckled. "When I get in the car, I am evil incarnate."

Melissa Claire Egan noted that she was definitely different than Chelsea, "because I'm not pregnant every other day. I know what contraception is," she cracked. "How are we both the same? Well, we both like to mess with Billy Miller (Billy), and that's how I started on the show."

More like The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow