The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow

Owens of 'Days' on His Origins

Talk to most performers and they'll tell you how they dreamed of making it big since childhood. Model-turned-actor Nathan Owens (Cameron Davis, "Days of our Lives") isn't one of them.

"Acting wasn't even a goal -- neither was modeling," confesses Owens. "My sister Anissa was actually the one who suggested I get into this."

Owens was happily working in corporate America, as a sales rep for Verizon Wireless, when his sister convinced him to get some pictures taken. Owens obliged, sent them off to the Ford Modeling Agency in San Francisco, and the rest is history.

"That's how this life started," says Owens with a smile. "Then, I decided to give acting a try. I got into class, got a manager and started going on auditions. It's as simple as that."

Owens got his big break when he was cast as Cameron on "Days," replacing Schuyler Yancey, who created the role.

"I was a little nervous at first," Owens admits. "I knew people had developed relationships with (Schuyler), and I didn't want to step on any toes. Plus, sometimes it's hard to adjust to someone new in a role. So I just tried to play it as gently as I could."

Along the way, his goal was to bring as much of himself to the role as he could, notably his "humor" and way of dealing with people.

He'd also like to add "an edgier" side to the character. "I think it would be fun to explore that."

In the interim, Owens, who's had the challenging task of playing a doctor by day and stripper by night, says that his main goal has been being seen as something more than just a pretty face and a hard body.

"Growing up, my mom taught us that it was literally brains first," notes Owens. "You had to be a good person and also a smart person. That's how I've pretty much modeled myself. So I would love for 'Days' fans to see me as more than that."

Of course, Owens also hopes "Days" fans support his on-screen pairing with Kate Mansi (Abigail), which has been developing slowly but steadily.

"Kate is awesome," boasts Owens. "Working with her has been great. She's so professional and has a great work ethic. We're getting better, as far as working together as a team, every day. We're friends off-camera, which makes it easier to develop chemistry as characters. I can't wait to see where things are headed next."

More like The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow