The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow

Darbo Returns to 'Dool,' With a Vengeance

Patrika Darbo never had anything but rave reviews about her first stint on "Days of our Lives." So when the show called and asked her to resurrect her role as Chloe's meddling mom, Nancy Wesley, she was eager to give it a go.

"Doing the soap was some of the hardest work I've ever done and some of the most fun," says the prime-time and film vet. "I love the fans. I love the people I work with. It's a pleasure to be back."

Nancy returns to Salem "to take care of Chloe," says Darbo. "Whether she's right or whether she's wrong, Nancy is going to support her daughter. That's what family does."

According to Darbo, her character is still the same conniving, manipulating wench she always was.

"Oh yeah," shares the actress with a chuckle. "The bitch is back. So don't mess with her or anyone who belongs to her."

Darbo admits that landing the part of catty Nancy back in 1998 was a true joy for her.

"It's not the kind of role I'm usually cast in," explains Darbo. "I usually play the ditzy neighbor or the downtrodden housewife. So that was the most wonderful thing, being able to come on and be a bitch. Plus, on 'Days,' I had a gorgeous husband (Kevin Spirtas, who played Craig), and I ended up having a gorgeous daughter. It was a great experience for me and I wouldn't trade it for anything."

Speaking of gorgeous daughters, Darbo says that reconnecting with Nadia Bjorlin (Chloe) took little to no effort.

"We fell right back into that. It was actually pretty easy," says Darbo, adding that she's "always adored Nadia. Besides being two actors who portray mother and daughter, we are also good friends. Nadia and I continued to be friends, even when we weren't on the show. We've gone out. I've seen her. I've seen her family."

As for Darbo's goals this time around, she hopes her character takes care of business -- namely, sets things straight with anyone who messed with Chloe while she was gone.

"Fortunately, the show's current writers are very tuned into who this character is, which is really terrific. So look out, Kate!" warns Darbo, referring to the woman who manipulated Chloe into becoming a prostitute. "I'd like to see Nancy start dealing with anyone who hurt her daughter."

More like The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow