The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow

Writer's Guild Noms for Three Soaps

Nominations for this year's Writers Guild of America Awards were recently announced. Changes were made to the Daytime Drama category to include all daytime serials --traditional broadcast fare as well as new-media programming.

In the daytime category, the nominees were "Days of our Lives," "General Hospital" and "The Young and the Restless." "The Bold and the Beautiful" didn't submit an entry this year. And, although they were eligible, there were no nominations for the online soaps "All My Children" and "One Life to Live." The 2014 Writers Guild of America Awards will be presented on Feb. 1 in Los Angeles.

SHORT TAKES:

The big news from "The Bold and the Beautiful" is that the "new" Ridge Forrester will make his debut on Dec. 13, in the person of veteran soap actor Thorsten Kaye. Storyline plans reportedly include making Kaye's Ridge very different from the version of the character as played for nearly 25 years by Ronn Moss, who elected to exit the role.

Kaye is probably best-known for his longtime role of Zach Slater on "All My Children," which he played until the network version of the show was canceled in 2011. Kaye resurrected the role of Zach for the online version of "AMC" during the show's first season. Kaye made his daytime debut in 1995, playing Patrick Thornhart on "One Life to Live." He also played Ian Thornhart (Patrick's brother) on the "General Hospital" spin-off, "Port Charles."

Before her recent return to "General Hospital" as Bobbie Spencer, an elated Jackie Zeman tweeted: "#GH rocks. I'm excited to be coming back." The show hasn't released anything about Zeman's storyline, but it's evident it involves her daughter Carly (Laura Wright). Zeman created the role of Bobbie in 1977 and has played the role off and on over the years, with her last appearance occurring during the "GH" 50th anniversary celebration.

Lindsey Godfrey, who plays Caroline on "The Bold and the Beautiful," and Robert Adamson, who plays Noah on "The Young and the Restless," announced on his Facebook page that the couple is expecting their first baby in the spring. The first question was whether or not Godfrey's pregnancy would be written into her storyline on "B&B," but so far, no official answer was available.

Also from "The Bold and the Beautiful," Zack Conroy will be seen as Oliver Jones and Dick Christie will return as Charlie Weber on Dec. 19 and 20.

More like The Soaps: Tune In Tomorrow