DEAR ABBY: You have always encouraged your readers to stay informed and to be proactive in their health care. Because of that, I am writing on behalf of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's Office of Women's Health and the Federal Citizen Information Center to tell you about our new Health Information Kit for women and their families.

May 13-19, National Women's Health Week, is an effort by the Department of Health and Human Services and an alliance of organizations to raise awareness about manageable steps women can take to improve their health.

That's why the FDA has created a Health Information Kit that includes more than a dozen free materials -- helpful information that recognizes the needs of women, not only as consumers, but also as family decision makers.

Thank you for getting this valuable consumer information out to your readers. -- KATHLEEN UHL, M.D., ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER FOR WOMEN'S HEALTH

DEAR KATHLEEN: I'm delighted to spread the word. Readers, I have reviewed the information the FDA is offering -- free of charge, including the cost of postage. The kits contain a gold mine of handy-dandy information on more than a dozen topics, and feature its new Medicine Booklets, first-of-their kind pamphlets with information about all products to treat depression, high blood pressure, cholesterol and smoking cessation. Also included are tips on reducing the risk of heart disease (a leading killer of women), food safety and much more.

All of the information has been compiled by the government at taxpayer expense, which is why it's offered to you at no charge.

Quantities are limited, so if you are interested in this offer, do not delay -- order today. Here's how: For the fastest service, order the Health Information Kit online at � HYPERLINK "http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov" ��www.pueblo.gsa.gov�. If you don't have online access, send your name and address to Health Information Kit, Pueblo, CO 81009, or call toll-free (888) 878-3256, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern time, and ask for the Health Information Kit.

DEAR ABBY: On Mother's Day, our church has a tradition of asking all the mothers in the congregation to stand for a blessing and recognition of their importance to our community and the job they are doing.

My wife refuses to stand and be recognized by our community as a mother. She says she won't do it because there are some women in our church who are not standing, and some of them might not be able to be mothers and may be hurt at the recognition the others are receiving.

I realize that infertility may be a great loss to them, but these women live with it every day. I doubt that our church's annual recognition of mothers will add more pain than those women already endure. Don't you agree? -- PROUD HUSBAND AND FATHER IN THE MIDWEST

DEAR PROUD HUSBAND AND FATHER: No, I do not agree. Your wife is a woman with unusual sensitivity and empathy for the feelings of others. I respect her stance on remaining seated, and so should you.

CONFIDENTIAL TO PAULINE PHILLIPS, MY DEAR MOTHER IN MINNEAPOLIS: Happy Mother's Day to the dearest mother in the world. You are in my thoughts and heart today, and every day.

Good advice for everyone -- teens to seniors -- is in "The Anger in All of Us and How to Deal With It." To order, send a business-size, self-addressed envelope, plus check or money order for $6 (U.S. funds only) to: Dear Abby, Anger Booklet, P.O. Box 447, Mount Morris, IL 61054-0447. (Postage is included.)